Saturday, November 24, 2007

New Delhi Day 1

We made it! We are safely in our hotel room in New Delhi. We haven't ventured out yet. We got up just in time to catch the tail end of breakfast, and we'll do some shopping later, but we just need to recover for a bit first.

Travel, the flights in particular, was my biggest fear about this whole process. I was so anxious about it that I requested an anxiety medication from my doctor for the flight. . . and then I forgot it. It is THE only thing that we forgot (I think). I didn't need it at all.

We got to the Boston airport nice and early and it was deserted! One bonus of flying on Thanksgiving, I guess. We breezed through and relaxed while waiting for the flight which was completely smooth and uneventful.

We had a 3 hour layover in Amsterdam which was much more crowded than Boston. By the time we got on the flight we were so tired that my Mom and I slept through takeoff. We landed in New Delhi, and everything was exactly as Adrienne described, so we had no problem whatsoever. We got through immigration, got or luggage, and got a prepaid Taxi. That's where the adventure began.

We left the airport at 1:19am - I looked at the clock. We thought it was a short little drive to the hotel. There was a bunch of traffic (I'm sure this is typical) so we didn't worry at first. Then our driver pulled up to this little alley way with bricks laying all over the place and told us all to come with him to "tourism" (he didn't speak english well). We were quite nervous about htis, so MOm and I went while Dan stayed with the luggage. This guy asked us where we were staying, asked to see our reservation, and asked why we were in India. We didn't tell him about the adoption, just that we were tourists. He gave the driver directions, and we thought we were all set.

After 20 more minutes the driver pulled up to a YWCA and asked someone else for directions. HE kept on saying, "all set, all set." He still wasn't. He pulled up to this area with all these people around tents and fires and asked THEM for directions! We were irritated, and a little nervous. He finally found the place at 3:30am! Then he refused to take a tip in rupees, demanding dollars. I said I didn't have any but please take the rupees, and he demanded dollars again, and then stormed away. This was the only point in the whole trip over here that I was remotely frustrated. I was offering a tip at all to be polite - had we been home I wouldn't have offered anything for that ride.

So, the hotel is lovely, people are polite. Breakfast was good. That's it for now, we'll post more tonight after we actually venture out.

OH - for Maddie and Myles - we saw some birds here that looked just like scarlet macaws! We miss you so much already!


Tara said...

I am glad you made it there safely!!! Yeah... Everyday you are getting closer to Max!!!
Lots of Hugs,

Anonymous said...

Kristy, I am so proud of you for getting throught the flight, I knew you wouldn't need any stinking meds, your adrenealine was pumping to high. I can relate to the taxi ride, when we went to London we had quite the adventure too. It happens everywhere. I am so glad you guys are there safe and sound. You are all in my prayers as well as Max. Can't wait to hear more. Take care and be safe. Elaine and Freedom

Anonymous said...

awesome and hope you have a safe stay and return --- really wired this morning you did not come to this mmmmmmmmmm work God bless

Emily said...

I am so glad you guys are able to blog while you are there - we have been thinking about you a lot!

Anonymous said...

So excited to see this when I logged on this morning. Can't wait to see Max and hear more news.
Maddie and Myles will be here with Bonnie and Donald in a little while. We will take pictures of the family for Max. Wish we could somehow send them to you.

Miss you all, and by the way - - - who is bringing the cornbread?

Love you all,
Aunt Dawn

Peter and Nancy said...

Thanks for posting so soon! (Didn't mean to pressure you in the Yahoo group message board!) :o) We'll be following you every step of the way -- and praying for you, too.
-- Nancy

Anonymous said...

I was so excited to get Papa's call this morning saying he heard Aunt Dawn say you had all updated the blog. I can't wait to check back (often for more news). Glad to hear you're all safe and that much closer to seeing that little darling. Heading down to Aunt Dawn's in a few more hours. If you check your yahoo account, I'll try to send a few pictures of our get together. Enjoy, rest, and don't go for anymore taxi rides :) Tell your Mom that I'll be thinking of her all week while I'm really WORKING! Good luck, love to all, and I'll be sure to give your kids a great big hug from you all today!
Love, Carrie

Anonymous said...

I love it that you guys had a crazy taxi ride because it just wouldn't be a true India experience without one!! Don't feel bad about the tip... they had already pegged you as tourists and charged you 25 times the actual charge of the that ride!! I am glad you are there safely and I can't wait to see pictures of you with little Max. Keep us updated!

Jaime and Tom

Randy B. said...

God speed. -- Randy B., Crisis

Amy and Clint said...

So glad you made it safe! Thanks for keeping us posted! Can't wait to see the baby!

Julie & Patrick said...

Ah yes, communication in India is an experience all it's own. Your experience brings memories flying back.

Sounds like you are all doing great! Enjoy your time!


Molly said...

I can't even explain how much i want you guys home with Max! Hope you guys are having fun while you are there though.

Love You