Sunday, November 25, 2007

More of New Delhi

First of all, you're going to have to wait for pictures. We're having a bit of trouble with the connection here, but I'll get 'em up as soon as I can. I knew you guys would be waking up soon and wanted to get you something to read at least.

So, we were wrong about the India idol thing last night. We found out today that it was a Sikh festival for the sick. This is according to our tour guide, who seemed relatively knowledgeable, if not overly friendly. He was "complimentary" with our very expensive hotel car.

I was a little disappointed. I'm a history buff and really wanted to see the red fort, especially since we didn't get to Agra. But, apparently all of "Old Delhi" was closed off today because of this Sikh festival. But, we saw what we could.

Our guide's name was Vijay. He was an older gentleman and a bit gruff. He explained things well, but was irritated with questions, and didn't answer any of them. I think he has his speel for each location and doesn't like to vary from it. We saw the president's house, Humayun's tomb, India Gate, and a Hindu temple.

The architecture is so impressive and we learned a lot about how the Turkish, Persian, and Mughals each had different styles. I took notes on it because I'm a geek :). Then I think our tour guide was sick of being our tour guide. He gave us the choice between a department store or a Hindu Temple. We chose the temple. He had the driver drop him off first.

I was very uncomfortable at the temple. I felt like we were being very invasive in a place that so many hold sacred. There were a few other tourists there, but we didn't stay long because it just didn't feel right to me. The temple was gorgeous (no photos were allowed and I wouldn't have taken any anyway for the reasons stated above).

It is amazing to see these places that have existed for thousands of years, where our country's history is so young. There is such a mission here to revere and honor, and preserve these places. We were talking about how in our country buildings aren't built to last. When they get old and dingy we just destroy them and start over.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You were right...we all woke up expecting some sort of news :) Glad to hear you're all doing well and seeing so much. Thank God for technology to keep us in touch. Hope you all enjoyed the pictures. Only two more days!!!!
Love, Carrie

Anonymous said...

Boy, I need a nap! No seriously, the kids have been great. Active, playing right now. They feel asleep late, but didn't wake up until 7:30 and 8.
I have been hearing a lot about Max. Actually, trying to get Myles to go on the potty so he can show Max what a big boy he is. Bribery, however, is not working.
Maddie says "I miss you" and Myles says "I miss you too".
"I love you and I miss Max". this a direct quote from Maddie. Can't wait to see if she says this when he is 5 and she is 8.
Miss you all, See you on Friday!