Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Mason's 2nd Gotcha Day

I still get that weird time warp feeling when thinking about how long my boys have been home. Mason has been home 2 years today. On the one hand, it feels like he has been with us forever. I can't imagine our family without him. On the other hand, I remember that day so vividly, I still feel the stress of that day, the confusion and frustration, and then, finally, the relief of having him in my arms. It feels like it was yesterday.


What has been clear from that very first moment is that this child was absolutely meant to be here, with us, in this family. He brightens my days. I cannot look at that big grin without smiling myself. He is happy each and every time he sees me. He adores all of "his people," from his physical therapist, to our lovely neighbor with the Kubota :)


I would be remiss if I did not also mention Mason's stubborn streak. If he doesn't want to do something, it doesn't matter what consequences or rewards you put forth. The boy is not going to do it. Frustrating at home, but more concerning at school. His parent/teacher conference this morning was rough. Everyone agrees he is charming, and smart. The problem is that he is acutely aware that people want to help him. At school he has become lazy, and learned ways to get others to do things that he should and absolutely CAN be doing for himself. It's a fine balance. It's hard for me to hear anything negative about him, because I just think he is perfect. I look at how far he has come and I'm amazed. But I also want to make sure we are pushing him hard enough to develop to his full potential. After 2 years of being home, I'm hoping that he has learned to trust that we meet his needs consistently, because it's time to start pushing him to do it himself!


Mason, you've changed our lives for the better. You've completed our family. I love you.

No comments: